Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Armchair Activist: Inferior Secretary Kempthorne


The presumably outgoing Department of Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne has decided to out-do James Watt. He recently announced changes which undermine the Endangered Species Act.

According to the Center For Biological Diversity the new regulations would:
- Exempt thousands of federal activities from review under the Endangered Species Act;
- Eliminate checks and balances of independent oversight;
- Limit which effects can be considered harmful;
- Prevent consideration of a project's contribution to global warming;
- Set an inadequate 60-day deadline for wildlife experts to evaluate a project in the instances when they are invited to participate -- or else the project gets an automatic green light;
- Enable large-scale projects to go unreviewed by dividing them into hundreds of small projects.

Express your righteous indignation by taking action.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1.12.08

    Hi there, Please don't hotlink to our images. It is bad enough that you want to use our imagery without permission or linking back.. but using our bandwidth for your blog is not very good.

    I could have changed the image to something nasty.. but i deleted it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks people. You are right. I'm using your bandwidth to serve up your image of an armchair which I believe you are selling (the chair, not the image). If I got more than 3 hits a week, I'd be surprised and might actually be remorseful. If you told me about it, I would have removed it. I'm terribly sorry to have made you rename image X to image X_2. Although I'm still not quite sure why you bothered. Meanwhile, in the future I will try to draw my own armchairs, take my own pictures of armchairs, or at the very least point to the actual main site the image came from so people can buy armchairs like yours.

    ReplyDelete